Time: 30 minutes prep (+cooking and cooling)
Equipment: Baking tray, baking parchment, electric whisk, glass bowl, piping bag
Following my last post, white chocolate popcorn, I am back with some more valentines inspiration! This week it is ‘meringue kisses,’ aptly named for valentines and pretty tasty too!
Some people worry about meringue but this recipe is super easy using only 2 ingredients to create something rather pretty. I followed the recipe from the Meringue Girls website, the queens of meringue kisses!
You can give these as a gift or serve them with dessert.
300g Caster sugar
5 Egg whites
Gel food colouring
1.Preheat the oven to 200C (fan)
2. Weigh the sugar and place on baking parchment in baking tray and put in the oven for 10 minutes. The Meringue Girls swear by this step, which makes the mixture glossy and stable!
3. Meanwhile beat the egg whites in a very clean grease free bowl. Start slowly then increase the speed until they form stiff peaks.
4. Remove the sugar from the oven, it should be slightly caramelised at the edges. Turn your oven down to 100C. Spoon in a large spoonful at a time into the whisked egg whites and keep whisking. Continue to add spoonfuls until all the sugar is incorporated.
5. Keep whisking for a further 5 minutes. To test if the meringue is ready rub it between you thumb and finger. If it feels grainy its not yet ready so keep going until its smooth!
6. If you are using colour on your kisses turn your piping bag inside out and paint stripes of the colours vertically into the bag.
7. Fill the bag with the meringue mixture. If using a nozzle use a large one. I used a disposable piping bag so cut off about 2 cm from the end.
8. Pipe ‘kisses’ onto a lined baking sheet by squeezing the bag, slowing relieving pressure and pulling upwards. Don’t worry it takes a few to get the technique right!
9. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes
10. Remove and cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy this simple idea for Valentines!
Keep your eyes peeled for more Valentines-inspired posts coming soon!
Until next time,